The cat's out of the bag

The old brick school No.246 was built in 1869, at a cost of 750 pounds ($1500). It opened in 1870 with 450 students and 9 teachers. There are records of earlier schools in Eldorado, dating back to 1861. In the 1890s, half of the school was converted into a residence which was last used in 1963, and demolished in 1965.

HISTORY

In the early days, the school was the centre of the town’s social activities, before the hall was built. Dances, Christmas Tree Parties and Euchre Parties (card nights) were all held in this building. The Eldorado Museum Trust was formed in 1966 to save the old school building from further demolition.
The Victorian Education Department agreed to hand over the building to the Museum Trust. Members of the Trust began the collection in 1967 and opened the museum to the public in 1969. It was officially opened in April 1971. Volunteers including junior members do all work at the museum. Most of the items at the museum have been donated by or are on loan from residents of the town and district.

THE MUSEUM COLLECTION FEATURES:

  • Mining history – Deep Lead, sluicing and dredging
  • Cock's Eldorado Gold and Tin Dredge information
  • War memorabilia
  • Household and farming clothing, utensils, ornaments, books and tools
  • Transport – farming, mining, general
  • Farming machinery
  • Some school, cemetery, lodge and church records for genealogy purposes
  • Photos, documents and books

THE MUSEUM OPEN TIMES ARE:

Sunday 2:00 pm- 4:30 pm
Public Holidays 10 am - 4:00 pm
(Excepting Good Friday and Christmas Day)